Donald P. Massa
Massa Products Corp., 280 Lincoln St., Hingham, MA 02043
The low-frequency, high-power transducer array installed on the Mission Capistrano for use in Project Artemis was developed by Massa during the late 1950s and manufactured during 1961. The 33-x50-ft array contained 1440 Massa model TR-11C transducer elements. This paper will present a historical review of this 300 000 lb megawatt transducer array that successfully operated in the 420-Hz region. The design of the transducer will be described, along with a few of the manufacturing procedures used to hold the resonance of the 180-lb vibrating structure to within 10 Hz. The 10-mile-long receiving array, consisting of 200 towers 80 ft tall containing hydrophones and lag lines for beam steering, will also be discussed.