Cyril M. Harris
Dept. of Elect. Eng. and Graduate School of Architecture, Columbia Univ., New York, NY 10027
The author of this paper describes his first visit with Harvey Fletcher in 1940 at the Acoustical Research Department of Bell Telephone Laboratories, then located on West Street in New York City. Five years later, he was invited by Dr. Fletcher to join the Laboratories. A brief description is given of some of the work carried out in Acoustical Research at that time. Upon his mandatory retirement at age 65, ``Uncle Harvey'' accepted the position of Visiting Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering at Columbia University. In 1951 the author left Bell Labs for a teaching position in Europe; on his return to the U.S. a year and a half later, he again sought Dr. Fletcher's counsel and it was suggested he take Fletcher's place at Columbia University. This made it possible for Dr. Fletcher to return to Utah, where he devoted the rest of his distinguished career to research in musical acoustics at Brigham Young University.