Auditory lists, Info request.

April 21, 1992

HERE IS A MESSAGE ABOUT A DISTRIBUTION LIST IN ENGLAND THAT
PEOPLE MAY WANT TO SIGN UP FOR:

> From: <Adrian.Rees@newcastle.ac.uk>
> Date: 31 Jan 92 13:28

> Subject: Distribution list
>
> Dear Al Bregman
>
> Sheila  Williams  sent  me  a  copy of your message about setting up a
> distribution list. You might be interested to know that such a  system
> already  operates  in  the  UK for just the purposes you describe. The
> list is called  'earmail'  and  it  contains  the  names  of  auditory
> researchers  in the UK and a few in Europe. They range from anatomists
> to psychophysicists and modellers. I manage the system and I also send
> out a directory of names and addresses that people  can  then  add  to
> their alias files. It's addressed by sending mail to
>
> earmail@newcastle.ac.uk
>
> and automatically fans out to all entries on the list.
>
> The  list is mainly used for single shot messages, each subscriber can
> send circulars at any time.
>
> Adrian Rees.

I've been maintaining a mailing list on sonification/audification
topics for several months now (with 37 current members).  To sign
up, just send mail to sonify-request@doppler.ncsc.org.  Thanks -

- Tom

Thomas C. Palmer                        Internet: palmer@ncsc.org
Cray Research, Inc.                     Phone: (919) 248-1117
North Carolina Supercomputing Center
PO BOX 12889  RTP, NC 27709

REQUEST FOR INFORMATION BY CHRIS DARWIN (cjd@epvax.sussex.ac.uk)

I want to ask about an experiment that we are just starting with
some second-year students.  We are basically lookng at how accurately
listeners can adjust the pitch of one tone in an arpeggionto make it sound
"in tune" and looking to see how this accuracy changes with the rate at
which the arpeggio is played (amongst other things).  I wuld like eventually
to tie this in with a production study looking at accuracy of playing
in say violinists; I suppose that the faster they play the less accurate they
are (I strongly suspect I am!).
Do you know of any relevant data either perceptual or productional?  Ken
Robinson at the APU has some data on accuracy ofpitch judgements for tones of
different durations, but I don't know any experiments involving pitch
discrimnations or matches using sequences of tones.  Any bells rung?
If your network is ready, this could go out on it if you wanted to try
it out!