Huron's proposal

Dear David Huron, and AUDITORY  list,
  I'm sure that you'll hear about it directly from
him, but Robert Remez has done virtually the exact experiment
that you are proposing.  However, the relative ease of the two
tasks does not tell you anything about the nature of the interaction
between the processes involved in their execution.  One might
simply be more practiced than the other.  We need evidence that the
speech recognition task actually subtracts sense data away from
the view of the sine-wave recognition task.  To prove this, one would
want to show that the sine wave task is not necessarily harder, but
that it comes up with a description that looks as though some of the
energy had been subtracted from the signal.  That needs an explicit
response to loudness.
 - Al Bregman