mailing list

        A friend told me about your newsgoup.  She said that you can do
extremely thorough literature searches, and that you can also give a list of
names of researchers who are working in a given subfield of audition.
        I am interested in two fields.  One is the study of ear-training.
That is, I am interested in how music students develop the ability to take
melodic dictation.  Research question in this area include:
        What are typical interval confusions (that is, do music students tend
to confuse minor thirds more with major thirds than with major seconds)?
        How do different harmonic backgrounds affect interval confusions?
        Under what conditions are students able to retain the tonic?
        Are dictation mistakes in long melodic sequences predictable from
mistakes in two note sequences?
        Does speeded response in melodic dictation develop automaticity of
dictation?
        Do students taking melodic dictations use harmonically important notes
as reference points, or do they simply keep place interval by interval?  An
example of the first strategy would be hearing a musical sequence as: third
degree of the major scale followed by fifth degree followed by sixth degree.
An example of the second strategy is hearing the same sequence as +3 +2.
Supposedly the strategies could be distinguished by appropriate
manipulations of the harmonic background in which these melodic sequences are
presented.
        The other field I'm interested in is connectionist modeling of music.
I am particularly interested in attempts to predict a composer's note at time
t from the composer's output from t0 to t-1.
        I am, of course, interested in the intersection of the two fields,
which is the attempt to use connectionist networks to model music students'
errors in melodic dictation.
        Please put me on your mailing list, and please tell me how to request
literature searches and names of relevant researchers.  (The reason I don't
treat literature searches and names of relevant researchers as identical is I
hold out the hope that you'd know about someone who was working on a research
question but had not yet published anything on the question.)
                -Chuck