addendum to divenyi suggestion

There are in fact areas of Britain (Newcastle, as the most common instance)
 where TV reports sometimes get subtitled for the rest of us Brits.

Perhaps Yorkshire might be a good place for a study as there are many local
 accent and dialect variations so maybe areas within less than 100 miles where
 there are communities which don't understand each other.

I guess you would need to find genuine locals to find out if this is the case,
 not an outsider (from 75 miles away) like me.

Sheila Williams