Auditory Modelling Software from Loughborough (LUTEar 1.5.0)

Dear All,

  First of all, I would like to offer an apology for re-posting this
message.  It was brought to my notice that my title did not describe what
"LUTEar" actually is.  I have now given the message a more descriptive
title (suggested by Adrian Rees), and I hope that anybody annoyed by having
to read this post twice will forgive me.

  Please find below the README file for the latest version of the LUTEar
Core Routines Library (CRL).  The UNIX and Macintosh (THINK C 5.0) platform
versions are now available (the MSDOS, Borland C, version will be ready by
Friday at the latest) via anonymous FTP from:-

        suna.lut.ac.uk (131.231.16.2): /public/hulpo/lutear

Connect via FTP then login with user name "anonymous" and give your e-mail
address as the password.  Download and thead the "INSTALL150" file from the
"/public/hulpo/lutear" directory (as also given above), then follow the
installation procedure for your platform.  If you have any problems at all,
do not hesitate to get in contact with me.

  Any comments, improvements, additions or corrections you may wish to
suggest are very welcome; it is only by direct feed-back from users that I
can ensure that the Core Routines Library is a delight to use, as well as
implementing state of the art auditory models.

...Lowel.

1.      Introduction

        As computer modelling of the auditory system increased in
complexity the need for common working tools became more pressing.
Such tools are necessary to allow the rapid dissemination of new computer
code, and to permit other members of the scientific community to replicate
and challenge published results.

        The auditory models developed by the Speech and Hearing
Laboratory, at Loughborough University of Technology (UK.), have
received much attention, due principally to their simple form and the
many published papers in which the models are used to explain auditory
phenomena.  The many requests for the computer code of the model
simulations led to the group releasing the LUTEar Core Routines Library
(CRL, version 1.0.0, October 1993) as a computational platform and set of
coding conventions which supports a modular approach to auditory system
modelling.  The system is written in ANSI-C and works on a wide range of
operating systems.  LUTEar has now been consolidated and much improved
in the latest release (version 1.5.0).

        The CRL brings together established models, developed by the group,
and also contributed by other researchers in the field, which simulate
various stages in the auditory process.  Since the first release, the LUTEar
CRL has been tested and used both at the originating laboratory and at
many other sites.  It has been used as a tool for speech processing, speech
and voice analysis as well as in the investigation of auditory phenomena,
for which it was primarily constructed.  This latest version of the CRL is a
product of the proving ground to which it was subjected, and we hope that
it will be as well received as was the first version.

        Included with this release is a comprehensive series of test
programs.  These programs were used to test the CRL routines; they
reproduce the behaviour of the respective published models included.  The
programs also provide examples of how the CRL may be used in auditory
investigation programs.  In addition the programs read data from
parameter files, and thus can be readily used to investigate further the
behaviour of the models included in the CRL.

        The CRL routines have been subjected as much as possible to careful
and exhaustive testing.  No system, however, is infallible so it is hoped that,
with the gentle admonitions of the library's users, any problems or
omissions will be quickly corrected.  In addition it is expected that the
library will be augmented by further models as the scientific endeavour
continues.  Many weeks have been required to get the manual into its
current form.  It is not perfect, so gentle admonitions and suggested
changes/additions are invited.

1.1.    CRL Features

        The library has a modular structure which can be used to create
auditory investigation/application systems or incorporated in existing
code, as required.  The library is intuitive in application, and has
comprehensive error reporting embedded in efficient code.  All the
modules conform to a simple standard format.  The design allows for
plugging and unplugging alternative models of the same component
auditory process for purposes of comparison.  Ultimately the CRL is a
development based on the meld of experimental investigation methods and
the tenets of good software engineering practice.  The following is a list of
the principal features of the CRL:-

o       Modular Structure;
o       Processing stage data can be handled by a single unit;
o       Processing stage units can link to data from other stages;
o       Multi-channel data is handled invisibly;
o       Efficient algorithms are used throughout;
o       Meaningful routine and variable names are used;
o       All routines are prefixed by their module name;
o       Comprehensive error handling incorporated in routines.

1.1.1   Main features new in version 1.5.0

o       Improved manual: greater detail with over 65 figures and an index.
o       Sound data file format reading/writing support;
o       Connection management system (invisible to user);
o       Modules can now read/print their own parameters;
o       Generic programming introduced;
o       New analysis routines, including FFT's;
o       Binaural processing support;
o       Non-linear basilar membrane filter model;*
o       Stochastic inner hair cell model;*
o       McGregor neural cell model;
o       Dendrite filter model;
o       Spike generation module (for Meddis86 IHC model output);
o       New stimulus generation modules.
o       Parameter files can have comment or blank lines;
o       Direction of warnings and error messages to a specified file;

* These models are still in development, prior to publishing, but they have
been included for those who
may wish to look at them.

|Lowel P. O'Mard PhD.     |                 /\  /  \     Speech & Hearing |
|Dept. of Human Sciences, |      /\/\    /\/  \/ /\ \  /\      Laboratory |
|University of Technology,|_/\/\/ /\ \/\/ /\  /\/  \ \/ /\/\_ /\___       |
|Leics. LE11 3TU, U.K.    |      \  /\/\/\  /\/  \  /\/\/  \/  Director:  |
|L.P.OMard@lut.ac.uk      |       \/      \/      \/     Prof. Ray Meddis |