Re: PC Windows Wave files

> I'm trying to convert PC Windows 3.1 "Wave" files to a different format.
> Unfortunately I can't work out the format of the Wave files. I'm guessing
> that they contain a header followed by 16 bit data (stored contiguously
> for a single channel, or alternate samples for stereo), but when I try
> to read this stuff nothing terribly meaningful comes out.

A good introduction to all file-format and related questions is pointed to in
the comp.speech FAQ:

> Q1.8: Speech File Formats, Conversion and Playing.
>
> Section 2 of this FAQ has information on mu-law coding.
>
> A very good and very comprehensive list of audio file formats is prepared
> by Guido van Rossum.  The list is posted regularly to comp.dsp and
> alt.binaries.sounds.misc, amongst others.  It includes information on
> sampling rates, hardware, compression techniques, file format definitions,
> format conversion, standards, programming hints and lots more.  It is much
> too long to include within this posting.
>
> It is also available by ftp
>       from:           ftp.cwi.nl
>       directory:      /pub/audio
>       file:           AudioFormats<version>

When you retrieve the files from ftp.cwi.nl, you'll find a further pointer to
another file on ftp.cwi.nl, "RIFF-format", which contains probably more than
the information you're after!  (If you want me to Email it to you, please
ask.)

There are, however, a number of format conversion utilities around which might
save you some coding: I use a NEXTSTEP interface (GISO) to sox, which seem to
be popular -- maybe someone else could give a pointer to original sources?

Have fun,

mmalcolm.

   SHeffield Auditory Group  |  Vox  : (+44) 742 768555 ext 5569
   Dept. Computer Science    |         direct :  825569
   Sheffield University      |  Fax  : (+44) 742 780972
   Regent Court              |  Email: malc@dcs.shef.ac.uk
   211 Portobello Street     |  (NeXTMail, MIME welcome)
   Sheffield S1 4DP, UK.     |  (Read-Receipts discouraged :-)