STUDENTSHIP IN AUDITORY SCENE ANALYSIS AND ROBUST ASR

*                         University of Sheffield                         *
*                     Department of Computer Science                      *
*                   Speech and Hearing Research Group                     *
*           RESEARCH STUDENTSHIP IN AUDITORY SCENE ANALYSIS               *
*                     FOR ROBUST SPEECH RECOGNITION                       *

At Sheffield we are investigating 'Computational Auditory Scene Analysis' -
modelling the ability of the auditory system to separate evidence from
different sound sources. We are now addressing the question of how CASA might
be used as a precursor to automatic speech recognition in natural (ie noisy
and unpredictable) environments. We have demonstrated that stochastic
recognition algorithms can readily be adapted to deal with the 'occluded'
evidence recovered by CASA.

We are seeking to recruit a research student to read for an M.Phil/Ph.D in
this field. For UK and EU applicants, funding may be arranged by a combination
of a Sheffield University Bursary and a grant from the Speech Research Unit,
DRA Malvern. Start date will be October 1995 or earlier.

Application forms and further particulars are available from
The Departmental Secretary,  Department of Computer Science, University of
Sheffield, Regent Court, 211 Portobello St, Sheffield S1 4DP.

More details can be found at http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk. Informal enquiries to

Phil Green, tel: +44 114-282-5578, p.green@dcs.shef.ac.uk
Martin Cooke, tel: +44 114-282-5567, m.cooke@dcs.shef.ac.uk