Preprint available on auditory scene analysi

The following preprint is available via FTP/WWW:

Primitive Auditory Segregation Based on Oscillatory Correlation

DeLiang Wang

Cognitive Science: Accepted for publication

The Ohio State University

Auditory scene analysis is critical for complex auditory processing.  We
study auditory segregation from the neural network perspective, and develop
a framework for primitive auditory scene analysis.  The architecture is a
laterally coupled two-dimensional network of relaxation oscillators with a
global inhibitor.  One dimension represents time and another one represents
frequency.  We show that this architecture, plus systematic delay lines,
can in real time group auditory features into a stream by phase synchrony
and segregate different streams by desynchronization.  The network
demonstrates a set of psychological phenomena regarding primitive auditory
scene analysis, including dependency on frequency proximity and the rate
of presentation, sequential capturing, and competition among different
perceptual organizations.  We offer a neurocomputational theory - shifting
synchronization theory - for explaining how auditory segregation might be
achieved in the brain, and the psychological phenomenon of stream
segregation.  Possible extensions of the model are discussed.

(42 pages + one figure = 1.5MB + 600 KB)

for anonymous ftp:
        FTP-HOST: ftp.cis.ohio-state.edu
        Directory: /pub/leon/Wang95
        FTP-filenames: Wang.prep.ps.Z, fig5G.ps.Z

or for WWW:
        http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~dwang

Comments are most welcome - Please send to
        DeLiang Wang (dwang@cis.ohio-state.edu)

FTP instructions:

To retrieve and print the files, use the following commands:

unix> ftp ftp.cis.ohio-state.edu
Name: anonymous
Password: (your email address)
ftp> binary
ftp> cd /pub/leon/Wang95
ftp> get Wang.prep.ps.Z
ftp> get fig5G.ps.Z
ftp> quit
unix> uncompress Wang.prep.ps.Z
unix> uncompress fig5G.ps.Z
unix> lpr {each of the two postscript files}
        (Wang.prep.ps may not ghostview well - some figures do not show up with
         my ghostview - but it should print ok)