Info on spiral ganglion sought

Dear all:

I am looking for information on the neural structure of the spiral ganglion:
specifically

(i) What is the pattern of innervation from the cochlear nerve to the spiral
ganglion? So far as I can work out (mostly from Pickles, "Intro to the
Physiology of Hearing", p34-7), spiral ganglion cells are bipolar, with one
process (dendritic?) innervating the inner hair cells (mostly), and the
other process becoming the auditory nerve. Is there any spread in the
innervation of the spiral ganglion cells by the IHC's?

(ii) Do the neurons of the spiral ganglion interact with (excite/inhibit
through interneurons) each other?

I am looking for this information as part of work on auditory modelling.

I would be very grateful for pointers to any references to the detailed
neurophysiology of this ganglion.

Dr Leslie S. Smith
Dept of Computing and Mathematics, Univ of Stirling
Stirling FK9 4LA Scotland

l.s.smith@cs.stir.ac.uk   (NeXTmail welcome)
Tel (44) 1786 467435 Fax (44) 1786 464551
www http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~lss/