Teaching Studentship

Ray Meddis, Deb Fantini, Essex University, UK.

Ph.D. Research studentship (three years) in hearing

Our chosen candidate for the above studentship has had to withdraw
and the post is again vacant.  Anyone interested in studying for a
Ph.D with either of us should make contact to discuss the
possibilities.

Between us we can supervise most aspects of hearing research except
clinical and animal studies.  We can work with your interests or
would be willing to suggest a topic in line with our own research
interests.

Our supervision track record is good with a 100% pass rate so far
and our students have established an international reputation on the
basis of their studies.  Your first degree can be in any of a
number of disciplines including psychology, biology, computing,
applied physics or electrical engineering.  The project will be
built around your existing skills and the necessary training will be
provided to bring you up to speed in other areas.  As a rule, our
Ph.D. students begin with little detailed knowledge of hearing
research.  We expect this but you should be good at something such
as psychological experimentation or computing or VLSI circuitry,
etc..  You will become a member of an established team of
researchers investigating a range of topics.

For British and European Union candidates, the studentship includes
fees and a bursary based on Research Council rates of #5190
(British Stirling) per annum. (A fees-only arrangement is available
for non EU candidates.)  In return, the student is expected to
undertake limited teaching duties, subject to an upper limit of 10
hours per week, including all preparation time, and not more than
six hours per week contact time (over the equivalent of thirty weeks
per annum).  Full details of teaching duties will be specified at
the time of making the offer of a studentship.

In the first instance, please make enquiries directly to Deb
Fantini or Ray Meddis using the following contact information;

Ray Meddis
email: rmeddis@essex.ac.uk
phone: 01473 828786

Deb Fantini
email: deb@essex.ac.uk
phone 01206 873711

by post: Department of Psychology, Essex University, Wivenhoe Park,
Colchester, CO4 3SQ, ENGLAND