Re: Beats

Al, et al.

It is a reminder of the phenomena described by Dix Ward 40 years or so
ago, in which you introduce a tone into the ear of a subject and they
report hearing that tone, plus 2F1-F2, where F1 is a (hypothetical)
locally generated tone in the ear, and F2 is the tone you are introducing.
We were reminded of those observations at the memorial session for Dix,
and the Penn State meeting of the ASA...for those who missed it.

Bill Kelly and I discovered a case of this at CID, in about 1975.  We
were asking an experienced listener to make an alternating binaaural
pitch match, using the method of adjustment.  When we lowered the
level of the tones (fixed frequency introduced into one ear and
variable in the other) to 10-15 dB SL, and asked her to "match the pitch
in your left ear with that in your right"  she responded, "should I match
the high one or the low one?"  We said, "baloney," or words to that
effect, and then, "sure, match the low one."  She matched the "high"
and the "low" tones with essentially equal accuracy, and they turned
out (as with Dix's subjects) to be the stimulus frequency and the cubic
difference tone.  We spent a bit of time trying to mask the internally
generated tone (which had a freq of about 1200 Hz) which she never could
hear, and which frequency never showed up in her matches.  Of course we
later learned about SOAE's and became convinced they were the source of
what we had been studying.  But by that time we had lost touch with that
S (who was both a musician and a very experienced lab subject), but there
must be lots more out there who can do that task.

Chuck Watson