From: bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU (Bill Schottstaedt)
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 98 07:45:45 -0800
To: Alexander Galembo <galembo@psyc.queensu.ca>
Subject: Re: Pitch of a complex tone

I think John Pierce has written a couple papers
on that subject:

Pierce, J. R. (1990).

     Rate, place, and pitch with tonebursts.

     Music Perception , 7(3):205-212.

Pierce, J. R. (1991a ).

     Periodicity and pitch perception.

     Journal of the Acoustical Society of America , 90:1889-1893.

================
From: "R. Parncutt"  <psa03@cc.keele.ac.uk>
To: galembo@psyc.queensu.ca
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 16:10:45 +0000 (GMT)

> It is classical that the pitch of a periodic complex tone is independent on
> phases of harmonics.
>
> I would appreciate to be informed about any publications providng a doubt
> in this phase independence (if exist).

How about...

Langner, G. (1997). Temporal processing of pitch in the auditory system.
Journal of New Music Research, 26, 116-132.

Langner, G., & Schreiner, C.E. (1988). Periodicity coding in the inferior
colliculus of the cat (I) - Neuronal mechanisms. Journal of Neurophysiology,
60, 1799-1822.

Meddis, R., & Hewitt, M.J. (1991a). Virtual pitch and phase sensitivity of a
computer model of the auditory periphery. Journal of the Acoustical Society
of America, 89, 2866-2894.

Patterson, R.D. (1973). The effects of relative phase and the number of
components on residue pitch. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America,
53, 1565-1572.

That reminds me! I'd be grateful for brief, private, independent assessment
of Langner's work.

Richard Parncutt, Lecturer in Psychology of Music and Psychoacoustics,
Unit for the Study of Musical Skill and Development, Keele University.
Post: Dept of Psychology, Keele University, Staffordshire ST5 5BG, GB.
Tel: 01782 583392 (w),01782 719747 (h). Email: r.parncutt@keele.ac.uk.
Fax: +44 1782 583387. URL: http://www.keele.ac.uk/depts/ps/rpbiog.htm.