Re: speech/music

At 08:21 PM 4/1/98 +0000, Neil Todd wrote:

>If you read the chapter, you will see that your characterisation of my
position
>is way off the mark. I certainly have not ignored stimulation or blood flow
> studies.
>E.g. Calvert et al (1997) Activation of auditory cortex during silent
>lipreading. Science, 276, 593-596. which I cited above. Further, it is
certainly
> not
>the case that I have adopted a naive stageist view or that I have ignored
> non-classical
>speech areas. Indeed, I have argued that we need to consider the both basal
> ganglia and
>cerebellum which are known to be involved in speech timing.
>
>This all goes to show that it's a big mistake to put edited extracts on
the list
> which
>inevitably will be read out of context.
>
>Neil

Well, I agree. I apologize for assuming that Neil had not thought of the
points I raised. I hope all the readers understand that no personal
ill-feeling was attached to my message (MIME-encoded). I am eager to read
his chapter in its entirety.

As a historical note, I still keep wondering to what extent Geschwind would
have used fMRI and PET data. The guy seemed to have just **known** what was
happening where under the skull. The Boston VA Aphasia Rounds I have been
fortunate to attend resembled fascinating fireworks of insights, ideas, and
deductions...

                Pierre

Pierre Divenyi             Experimental Audiology Research (151)
                           V.A. Medical Center, Martinez, CA 94553, USA
Phone: (510) 370-6745;     Fax: (510) 228-5738
E-mail :                   PDivenyi@ucdavis.edu