consonant/vowel characterization

Dear list,

I'm looking for any information and references relevant to the following
    When listening to the speech signal, how do you distinguish between
consonants and vowels? Are there any acoustical features that allow a fai=
    I am aware that there is no direct acoustic characterization of
phonemes, at least language- and speaker-independent. However, the
distinction between consonant and vowel might be broad enough to be
universal and readily retrievable from the signal.
    Do you know of any work on that (C/V characterization, discrimination
algorithm, simulation...)?

Franck Ramus (http://www.ehess.fr/centres/lscp/persons/ramus.htm)
Laboratoire de Sciences Cognitives et Psycholinguistique
54 boulevard Raspail
75006 Paris
tel: (33)(0)1 49 54 24 98
     (33)(0)1 43 29 80 22 (maternit=E9)