mental planning for performance

Dear List,

Can anyone help me find out more about the neuropsychological  processes
active in the moments before a performer sings, whistles or plays a
melody on an instrument with no pitch demarcations (e.g. frets /keys).
Without the aid of such pitch markers, how does the performer plan motor
processes to exactly hit the right note ?

Should I be looking into auditory memory and imagery literature?
Anything out there in the neuroscience or singing research world?

Thanks in advance for pitching in with anything noteworthy !

Pun ita