Re: ATOM BIGGS: ROCK MUSIC

I am certainly no expert on the subject, but I seem to recall that there
have been several instances within the past couple of centuries when some
new musical form or other was considered to be a corupting influence. I
think the polonaise was implicated at one time and the waltz was not
"nice." Certainly ragtime was evil to the conservatives of the day, and
likewise dixieland, and later the jazz of the jitterbug era.  The major
difference between most of those earlier forms and much contemporary
popular music seems to me to be a disinterest in hearing the fine
structure, either of the instrumental parts or the lyrics...since the
levels push much of it into either electronic or aural distortion.

Chuck Watson

Email to AUDITORY should now be sent to AUDITORY@lists.mcgill.ca
LISTSERV commands should be sent to listserv@lists.mcgill.ca
Information is available on the WEB at http://www.mcgill.ca/cc/listserv