Re: Why is high high?

I made recently recordings from various elevations with white noise
signals in an anechoic room. Elevations were from -15 to 45 degrees
and azimuths from 0 to 355. The recordings lasted about 5 hours. I
noted clearly that the noise signal from higher elevations frequently
seemed to have higher pitch, especially if azimuth was about -45 or +45
degree. However, this can not be generalized because I have a
high-frequency hearing loss. It would be interesting for me to know if
someone has observed the same.

In literature of spatial hearing there is described an inverse
phenomenon when one hears a pure-tone from a speaker in front of him.
Then the location perception is depending from the frequency of the
pure-tone. This has been interpretated as 'directional bands' of the
head-related transfer functions and is described by Blauert, 1972 (and
1983).  The phenomenon seems to be restricted to pure tones because
these are very difficult to localize.

kind regards,

Johannes

Email to AUDITORY should now be sent to AUDITORY@lists.mcgill.ca