Development of capacity to parse complex sonority

Dear List,

does anybody know any references pertaining to the change in people's
ability over a human lifespan to parse out elements of a complex sonority
(either harmonics from a timbre or pitches from a chord). I am aware of
some of the acoustical factors that promote such parsing (e.g.
onset asynchrony, inharmonicity, contrasting vibrato etc), but I would
love to know anything about the development of the capacity to parse when
acoustical cues are absent.  I am interested in a cohort of related
questions such as "Are there developmental windows for learning parsing?",
"is the extent to which one can parse elements from a sonority pretty much
hardwired by a certain age?" and so on.

Any suggestions gratefully received,

best wishes

Matthew Royal

Dr. Matthew Royal
Assistant Professor
Department of Theory and Composition
Faculty of Music
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario
Canada N6A 3K7

Tel: (519) 679-2111 Ext. 5198; (519) 661-2043 [messages]
Fax: (519) 661-3531
E-mail: mroyal@julian.uwo.ca