Re: Blind Source Separation by Sparse Decomposition

Al, Michael -

"The physics of the problem" as Michael called it, require, first, a
model through which to pass ("clipped") signals and, later,
inspect the resultant Source data.

However, without first proposing that model, and, in an effort to
promote dialogue, I propose a somewhat more severe form of
clipping, i.e., high gain amplification (a voltage comparator) that
conveniently "clips" @ the usual GND and +VS ends of the supply
voltage.

In this extreme clipping case the only thing remaining of the original
audio are the zero-crossings and, a very high speed (usually nsec)
has been introduced at the zero-crossing transitions.  Yet, upon
audition we perceive intelligible speech under these circumstances.
And, in the spirit of Al's comments, all frequency components other
than those related to zero-crossings have been removed.

Returning to the specific question of Source "segregation", it would
be interesting to experiment with binaural recordings by clipping the
Left/Right audio with voltage comparators before passing the L/R
channels to the usual "stereo" headset for binaural audition.

Again, as per Al's comment, "...the human ability to (imperfectly) deal
with many sources with only 2 ears [is] even more intriguing."

Anyone who tries this proposed, severe (binaural) clipping will be
further intrigued by our 2 ear processing abilities.

Of course, an A/B audio switch should also be employed so as to
allow a ready way to compare the original binaural sound to the
clipped sound.

Given the non-commercial nature of this forum, I would not initially
supply the web addresses of binaural cassettes recordings but, if
asked, would privately supply a website I've found useful.

Regards,
Rich Fabbri
Scarce Ideas