front to rear reversals

Dear list,

Just thought I would put forward an observation on front to rear reversals
in binaural recordings.

It seems to me that this term is misleading. Rather than a frontal image in
the median plane being interpreted as a rear image, it appears to be more
the case that frontal images in the median plane are interpreted as "in
head" rather than "out of head" (laterisation as opposed to localisation}.
Typically normal stereo recordings listened through headphones appear to be
in head and to the rear of the head - although still inside.
Interpretative confusion of the front median plane cues in my opinion
therefore do not cause a rear localised image, but rather a laterised
stereo image.

Tim Cox