Re: perceptual learning

Auditory perceptual learning an area of study that needs attention, but
it certainly hasn't been ignored.
This article will touch on a lot of the research before 1980.

Watson, Charles S. (1980). "Time course of auditory perceptual learning,
" Annal of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology Supp. 74 89, 96-102.

Watson has done a lot of study with tonal patterns in the 1970s which
are probably cited in the above article.

There's also a learning component in tasks of spectral shape
discrimination alias profile analysis. This is discussed in DM Green's
book "Profile Analysis" (1988, Oxford U.P., London) also in

Kidd, Mason and Green (1986) "Auditory profile analysis for irregular
spectra," J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 79, 1045-1053.

and in my dissertation

Sources of Variation in Profile Analysis: Individual Differences,
*Extended Training*, Roving Level, Component Spacing and Dynamic Contour
(1998) Indiana University.

Manuscripts are in review. One observation was that listeners do not
asymptote to the same level of performance. My summary went like this:

Extended training: The ability of listeners to discriminate differences
in spectral shape improved with practice. The rate of this learning
differed between individuals. The asymptotic level of performance
observed in these experiments differed substantially between listeners.

There's certainly a host of other related topics that could be and
probably have been studied especially with everyone's favorite complex
sound-- speech. The practicality here I think revolves around impaired
listeners learning new input via cochlear implants and hearing aids.
Learning to perceive and produce languages of course takes years.

Ward Drennan
MRC Institute for Hearing Research, Scottish Section
Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Queen Elizabeth Building
Glasgow G31 2ER  UK
Tel: (int'l) + 44 141 211 4856
Fax: (int'l) + 44 141 552 8411
http://www.wardsworld.freeserve.co.uk