Question: Wasn't Helmholtz right?

Answer:  Yes and no.

Dear Dr. Blumschein and List:

In my book (pp. 15-19), I discussed not only the traditional view

concerning the mechanics for stimulation within the inner ear, but also

some intriguing alternatives that appeared in several articles in the

recent literature.  These articles, taken together, ascribe novel

complementary functions of inner and outer hair cells as tuned resonators

responsible for frequency analysis rather than the basilar membrane.  The

primary dynamic function of the basilar membrane is considered to be that

of a tuned absorber of excessive vibrational energy that could otherwise

damage the hair cells.  I attempted to summarize some of the supporting

evidence for these heretical views.

The view that hair cells are the tuned resonators rather than the basilar

membrane resembles Helmholtz's initial resonance theory presented in his

first edition of Sensations of Tone (1863).  He then suggested that the

rods of Corti (located near the nerve fibers) as tuned resonators for

spectral components by virtue of their gradations in stiffness and

tension.  He later abandoned this view in part because other investigators

found that these structures were absent in birds and amphibia, and in

subsequent editions of Sensations of Tone suggested that radial fibers

embedded in the basilar membrane were the resonant transducers.

Hence, if we substitute the stereocilia bundles of hair cells for the rods

of Corti, we are back to the first guess by Helmholtz.  Interestingly,

while functional homology was involved in Helmholtz's dropping of resonant

rod transducers, the lack of travelling waves in the basilar papilla of

reptiles, together with the tuned resonance of their tonotopically

arranged hair cells, has led some investigators to a position close to

what Helmholtz initially suggested.