Re: First moment of a spectrum

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, James W. Beauchamp wrote:

> I have found the centroid to be a very useful parameter for sound
> synthesis, particularly for brass sounds.
> Lately it appears that some researchers are using higher-ordered moments
> for automatic instrument classification.

And some researchers used centroid for the approximation of speech
formants. See
Albesano et al.: A Study on the Effect of Adding New Dimensions to
Trajectories in the Acoustic Space, Proc. EuroSpeech'99, pp.1503-1506

               Laszlo Toth
        Hungarian Academy of Sciences         *   "Heavy Metal is the
  Research Group on Artificial Intelligence   *    QUINTessence of music"
     e-mail: tothl@inf.u-szeged.hu            *
     http://www.inf.u-szeged.hu/~tothl        *             /Anonymous/