First moment of spectrum

Sorry if I sounded rough -- it is way too hot a day here and, because it is
not supposed to be, air conditioning is not a standard fixture.

All I wanted to say that, if I understand the meaning of first moment
correctly, there is an infinite number of spectra having an identical first
moment. Jim Beauchamp's suggestion of including other measures, like the
cepstrum and/or the jaggedness, is most appealing to me, especially if the
frequency axis is transformed into a basilar-membrane distance axis (or
Bark scale or mel scale, etc.). A psychophysicist would be extremely
indebted to anyone coming out with a scale along which delta-first moments,
or cepstral coefficients of a certain order, would be equally (or at least
comparably) discriminable.

Pierre Divenyi

Pierre Divenyi, Ph.D.      Experimental Audiology Research (151)
                                     V.A. Medical Center, Martinez, CA
94553, USA
Phone: (925) 370-6745
Fax:     (925) 228-5738