Speech and music analysis:answers

Dear list:

First, I'd like to thank everybody who send me suggestions of programs to
extract pitch in speech AND music. For those of you who are interested in
these programs, here are the suggestions I received:

- Eric Keller's Signalyze program for Mac: it seems that Fo extraction
algorithm is not working as well for singing but there is a possibility to
measure waveform durations.
http://www.agoralang.com/signalyze.html

- A pith detection program working between 60 and 600Hz. Used to
distinguish speech and music.
http://wwwdsa.uqac.uquebec.ca/ermetis

- SNDAN analysis/modification/display/synthesis package which contains a
fundamental frequency detection component. This program comes in C source
code and installs easily on most Unix workstations including Linux on Intel
PC. Pitch detection happens by first detecting the peaks of the spectrum
and second by finding the fundamental frequency whose harmonics best match
the peaks.
http://ems.music.uiuc.edu/cmp/software/sndan.html

The pitch detection technique is described in detail in the paper

Maher, R. C and Beauchamp, J. W., "Fundamental frequency estimation of
musical signals using a Two-Way Mismatch procedure", J. Acoust. Soc. Am.,
Vol. 95, No.4, pp.2254-2263 (1994).

- TFR program from Avvaz.
http://www.propeller.net/react/about.htm

- A program wrote by Perry Cook that runs on NeXT computer.

- Winpitch
http://www.winpitch.com

-Praat programm
http://www.praat.org