Re: Wasn't v. Helmholtz right? (BM/neural tuning)

Dear Enrique and List:

It is clear that this data (like similar data over previous years)
demonstrates that the BM and neural curves are equally sharply tuned. The
puzzling question then naturally arises - and it is a question that has been
vexing hearing science for quite some time (a century or more) - how could
the BM (or any passive cochlea structure) be so sharply tuned when it is
essentially a slack membrane, or conjoined fibres, immersed in fluid? Such a
structure would have a very low Q.

So if we assume that 'intermediate' structures merely amplify the BM
response, we end up with something with a similarly low Q. As Gold
suggested, some positive feedback is needed to sharpen the response.

I have suggested a mechanism involving the OHC and tectorial membrane that
provides high Q in a fluid environment. Incidentally, the BM picks up this
vibration. However, the BM is not the primary tuned element of the ear; it
is an accessory structure designed to absorb excess energy.

Andrew.