Re: cochlear discussions

Dear Neil and List:

I strongly agree that the combination of tectorial membrane and OHC provides
the basis for frequency analysis in the mammalian ear.

Yes, auditory science has been "labouring under the possibly false belief
that the frequency selective properties of mamallian ear are due to the
mechanical properties of the basilar membrane."

Let me see if I can emulate your succinct style, and provide 5 good reasons
why the basilar membrane is not an appropriate structure for frequency
analysis.

1. Its combined mass and stiffness do not vary by the required factor of
10^6 (to provide a response over 3 decades of frequency).

2. In some bats, the mass and stiffness are not even tonotopically
organised, so that there is a so-called "paradoxical change in stiffness"
(Vater, 1988) in which the stiffness of the 70-111 kHz region is much
_lower_ than that in the adjacent 60-70 kHz region.

3. The BM has interfering structures, such as blood vessels, running along
its length.

4. It is sometimes found, along with a completely formed (and presumably
functional) cochlear partition, sitting on bone.

5. In birds and crocodiles, it is found with holes penetrating it,
short-circuiting the differential pressure that is supposedly required to
generate a traveling wave.

Nevertheless, it does possess graded mass and stiffness. Braun (Hear. Res.
78 [1994], 98-114) suggested that the BM was designed to absorb excess
cochlear vibration (at high SPLs), which is a good suggestion.

Andrew.