Chordal Quality

Dear List,

in ear-training programs, music students are often called upon to identify
the quality of individual chords, e.g., minor, major, diminished or
augmented with plain triads, and major-minor7, minor-minor7 etc. for
seventh chords.  Does anybody know any perceptual research that examines
the psychological distance between these chord types?  I would be
interested in either confusion matrices, measures of consonance/dissonance,
multidimensional scaling studies, or anything else that might even be
tangentially connected.

Thanks in advance for any responses.  I'll summarize them in a week or so.

Best

Matthew Royal

Dr. Matthew Royal
Adjunct Assistant Professor