spectral and/or temporal pitch

Dear List,

Although I have been learning a lot from the discussion, I must admit that
I feel frustrated for one reason. It seems that the major thrust of most
contribution is how to define pitch in either the temporal or the spectral
domain, *in absence* of information (or cues) in the other domain. It is
true that the Huggins pitch, or the pitch of delayed noise signals that
Bill Yost has been studying, must be temporal. The problem (my problem?) is
that most of the time we encounter sounds that have *both* temporal
(=virtual) and spectral pitch characteristics. What I would be happiest to
see debated is how we can grade/label/quantify the two kinds of pitch in
any given sound. My search for answers led me to the Carlyon/Shackleton
papers and also way back to Terhardt's attempts to algorithmize the two
facets of pitch. Terhardt was also kind to provide me with a program that
runs his algorithm. Has anybody used it beside me, and has anybody an idea
of how well it fits data published after Terhardt's paper (1979/82)?
Unfortunately the algorithm accepts only a line spectrum input which makes
it difficult to use with signals other than steady-state complex tones.

Cheers,

Pierre Divenyi

Pierre Divenyi, Ph.D.      Experimental Audiology Research (151)
                                     V.A. Medical Center, Martinez, CA
94553, USA
Phone: (925) 370-6745
Fax:     (925) 228-5738