Re: Directional Perception

Thanks Tom,

There is some data on echolocation.  Larry Rosenblum and Dan Ashmead both have
some recent work on this.  However, as I understand it, echolocation refers
specifically to sound produced by the listener (see Ashmead et al. 1998). I am
more interested in relatively unidirectional sound sources (other than the
listener) that can rotate and listener's ability to detect the orientation (or
facing direction) of the directional source.

Ashmead, D. H., Wall, R. S., Eaton, S. B., Ebinger, K. A., Snook-Hill, M.-M.,
Guth, D. A., & Yang, X. (1998). Echolocation reconsidered: Using spatial
variations in the ambient sound field to guide locomotion. Journal of Visual
Impairment & Blindness, 92(9), 615-632.

Tom Brennan wrote:

> I'd suggest that you do a search under the term "echo location" as there is a
> fairly extensive bit of data in this area.
> Tom Brennan, CCC-A/SLP, RHD
> web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html
> web master http://titan.sfasu.edu/~f_freemanfj/speechscience.html
> web master http://titan.sfasu.edu/~f_freemanfj/fluency.html