From: Brian Gygi <bgygi@INDIANA.EDU>
To: AUDITORY@LISTS.MCGILL.CA
Subject: Re: inexpensive recording technology
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 23:51:33 -0500

I did some live recording of music in India using a pro Walkman (make sure
you get one with XLR inputs) and an SM57, which worked out fine.  The Pro
Walkman was about $220 (as of 1992) and the SM-57 was about $90. The
good thing is 57s are almost indestructible.  You will need to rig up a
wind screen of some sort, but that can be down with a little foam
rubber.  You probably don't need stereo, but if you do, Electrovoice made
(as of 1992) a good stereo mike.

Another option is to get a small minidisc recorder.  I can't vouch for how
rugged they are, but the quality is great.