Re: Get lost, Mr. Cochlea!

Regarding "ignore/discard", I'd like to point in the direction of J.J.
Gibson's Purple Perils (http://lor.trincoll.edu/~psyc/perils/):

June 1960: he recognizes the minimum principle of perception (perception is
"economical", only picks up, or processes, what's necessary), which implies
that graceful degradation of sound works.

October 1969: he provides an elegant definition of affordances and direct
perception - "Information .... does not consist of signals to be
interpreted, nor data that must be supplemented from a store house of
knowledge. I am suggesting that nothing less than the hypothesis that
meanings are not subjective contributions but objective facts. I prefer to
call the meanings of things their affordances, that is, what they afford the
observer. The meanings of things in this sense are perceptible properties of
things...."

Mikael Fernström, M.Sc.
Interaction Design Centre & ULIM University of Limerick Interactive Media,
Computer Science Building, CS232, University of Limerick, Ireland
Phone: +353-61-202606, Mobile: +353-86-8188079 Fax: +353-61-202734
Email: mikael.fernstrom@ul.ie <mailto:mikael.fernstrom@ul.ie>  Web:
www.idc.ul.ie <http://www.idc.ul.ie>
www.softday.ie <http://www.softday.ie>