Re: Modifying speech

Fatima Husain wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> Sorry to barge into an interesting discussion, but -
> My lab wants to image subjects listening to normal and modified speech.
> We are trying to investigate semantic memory.

If you accept that the phoneme is the lowest order of semantics, then
that would suggest one might test using nonsense CV and CVC sounds.
They can be identified as parts of words (subjects can think of words that
start with a given CV for example).

Finally, have you seen the very interesting work of Cyma Van Petten?
Look at her abstract, JASA page 2643, Vol 108, #5, pt. 2, Nov 2000
Abstract 5aSC3 (Newport Beach CA meeting Friday Dec 8, 2000)

--
Jont B. Allen
AT&T Labs-Research, Shannon Laboratory, E161