Re: Informational Masking

> ... I can think of many examples where I'm able to repeat, after a
> period, a very reasonable representation of the sound of the sentence
> which had been spoken to me, even though so doing produces a sentence
> which is complete nonsense.
> in the 'gobbledegook' reconstruction of the sentence, it's usually
> the consonants that I've got wrong (.....I think). The vowel sounds
> seem fairly right, and the rhythm overall seems right, even though
> the division into words has often gone awry.

Could it be that this gobbledegook reconstruction happens after a time
span which is closer to 20 s than to 15 min? 20 s is quite a long time,
so one might be surprised to be able to do so after 20 s, though I
wouldn't. Long auditory storage (Cowan, 1984) can be as long as that. In
cases with more than a minute inbetween I would suspect partial
understanding of the sentence.
- Christian