Pe\~{n}a and Konishi Paper in latest Science (Correction)

A. Houtsma corrects me--the neurons are in the IC, not the OT. My
copy of the article was already off being read by a colleague, and I
was working from (my well-known to be fallible) memory. For those of
you with a copy of Biophysics of Computation, look at page 477, where
Koch indicates the need for a detailed understanding of
multiplication in at least one neurobiological model system. He
describes it as a topic for a Ph.D. Thesis, but I suspect whoever
does the research will find it a bit more important. For example,
multiplication is probably key to how synchronized spike streams are
brought together again, and may play a role (in conjunction with
variable neural delays) in steering sensory afference to update the
state of an object being held in an internal model of the external

Harry Erwin, PhD, Senior Lecturer of Computing, University of
Sunderland. Computational neuroscientist modeling bat bioacoustics
and behavior. <http://world.std.com/~herwin>