Re: Eckard or Christian?

At 13:05 16.05.2001 -0700, Pierre Divenyi wrote:
>Sorry, folks. I was just reminded that I should have addressed my last
>comments re/ Titze to Eckard rather than Christian. My apologies!
>
>Pierre

Pierre,

Nobody of us is perfect, and I am aware of having made several mistakes
myself. I appreciate Alain's courage as well as his valuable criticism.
Forgive me smiling upon you being able expressing your own dislike
in a private correspondence to you and even mixing up Christian, a very
reputated expert in psychology, with me.
Admittedly, I am having problems in understanding your comment.
Concerning Titze's model, I refer to Martin's paper, p. 87. Do you have
any objection against the physical effect of trachea resonance on f0?
Perhaps not. I understood that you consider this effect unlikely to be
applicable to musical pitch in speech. Of course, f0 is not identical
with pitch. I do not have much knowledge of the various methods for
pitch tracking. Merely discrete samples of f0 can be exactly determined
by measuring the distances between subsequent glottal pulses.
See for instance my adress A015 (Don George). In that context, it does
not matter whether f0 belongs to speech or musics. If my interpretation
of Martin's data is correct, then they actually relate to f0 rather
than to pitch. You are correct. A listener would probably not be able
to perceive the pitch as exactly as we can measure the distance between
two glottal pulses. I see this one more argument against Martin's
original idea. I am not a proponent of that.

Eckard