Re: Reply to Quick IHC question

I also wish to disagree.  I was a bit dismayed when I first joined this list
to see the names on the list and then find that when a question was posted
many of the responses were private.  If the responses are to be private, what
is the point of the list?

Tom
On Tue, 22 May 2001, jan schnupp wrote:

> I would like to disagree with DeLiang's comment:
>
> At 14:14 21/05/01 -0400, DeLiang wrote:
> >With due respect to knowledgeable respondents to the following inquiry, it
> >would save us time and effort if replies were sent directly to the inquirer.
> >If the inquirer later feels that some replies are worth general attention,
> >he or she can send a digested summary to the entire list.
> >

> If DeLiang's proposal had been adhered to, I might have been deprived of
> Jont Allen's lucid answer to a question which, to me at least, initially
> sounded naive, but actually turned out to probe quite deeply into important
> aspects of cochlear function.
> Why was this particular enquiry singled out? Or is DeLiang suggesting that
> no replies should ever be posted directly to the whole list? While there
> may be the occasional flood of auditory list postings and replies of only
> peripheral interest to some of us, I think it would be a pity to miss out
> on the occasional gem. Perhaps  participants of the list should exercise
> their judgement and decide whether their reply is likely to interest a fair
> proportion of the list membership or only a few individuals, and address
> their postings accordingly. But I do feel quite strongly that anyone who
> feels they have something worthwhile to contribute should not hesitate to
> address the list directly.
>
> Jan
> Dr. Jan Schnupp
> Oxford University, Laboratory of Physiology, Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PT, U.K.
> Tel (+44-1865) 272 513  Fax (+44-1865) 272 469

Tom Brennan, CCC-A/SLP, RHD
web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html
web master http://titan.sfasu.edu/~f_freemanfj/speechscience.html
web master http://titan.sfasu.edu/~f_freemanfj/fluency.html