how to equalize non-speech sounds in dB(A) level

Hi listers.
I have several non-verbal auditory alarms which I would like to
present over headphones, one at any given moment in time, at an equivalent
dB(A) sound level. Could anyone pass on their experience/preference for
equalizing the at-ear sound level of non-speech sounds.
My experience for speech is to match the sounds based on their
dB(A) peaks as cited in:

Steeneken, H.G.M. and Houtgast, T. (1978).
Comparison of some methods for measuring speech levels.
Institute for Peception TNO, The Netherlands, report no. IZF 1978-22.

Has anyone used this technique for non-speech sounds? Is there
a reference that I can cite. Thanks.

Rob
--
        Robert Arrabito
        Defence and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine

        phone: (416) 635-2033
        fax: (416) 635-2013
        e-mail: robbie@dciem.dnd.ca
        http://www.dciem.dnd.ca/