Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 21:09:06 -0400 (EDT)
From: Rhythmpsyc@aol.com
To: g_brennantg@TITAN.SFASU.EDU
Subject: Re: Annoyance of cell phone use in public spaces

My view is closest to Tom Brennan's: I think the problem (and I too find it
annoying) is one of social exclusion.  Someone is having a conversation,
excluding us in a visible way.   And self importance, perhaps somewhat
derived from the time (not so long ago) when only high powered execs had cell
phones.   I remember (here I'm dating myself) when only said execs had
answering machines, and finding it annoyingly arrogant when an acquaintance
of no special importance in the larger world got one.
   I too hate call waiting, but my wife insists on it "in case there's an
emergency with the kids."   Ms. Manners once had a nice column about it,
pointing out that a busy signal is a very polite way of signaling "I'm busy,
try later".   On the other hand taking phone calls when talking to someone
else is rude, and letting them drag on (which people tend to do) is even
ruder.
OK, I'm off my soapbox.
Geoff Collier