Re: Multichannel audio cards

I believe in order to do 3D audio over a loud speaker array, it is
possible to use both ambisonics and more modern discrete sound source
panning techniques on the same system ....
The trick is firstly to write a software library which does the correct
sound card handling routines ....
Issues include :
a] You have to sync all the sound cards, which should not be too difficult
a task as driver developers are starting to think about this, and for
example I believe the ALSA drivers are more then capable of multi
sound card syncing with the standard release.
b] Mixer ... signals have to be dynamicly mixed down to the speakers
... ambisonics (a simple 'pinv()' routine in octave/matlab
suffices or you can see for Jot's paper [1] for more modern
approaches). Using discrete source panning (my library [2] - pdf paper
there too) or (Pulki's VBAP [3] or the Lake DSP methods [4]). [3] and [4]
are similar and face the same problems/issues.

[1] "A Comparative Study of 3-D Audio Encoding and Rendering Techniques",
Jot JM., Larcher v., Pernaux JM., AES 16'th International Conference on
Spatial Sound Reproduction, 1999.

[2] mffm 3D Audio library : http://mffm3daudio.sourceforge.net

[3] "Creating Auditory Displays with Multiple Loudspeakers Using VBAP: A
Case Study with DIVA Project", Pulkki V., Lokki T., International
Conference on Auditory Display, Glasgow, England, 1998.

[4] "Optimal 3D Speaker Panning" Dickins G., Flax M. R., McKeag A.,
McGrath D., AES 16th International Conference on Spatial Sound
Reproduction. April 10-12, 1999

--
Matt

For electronic musicians ...