Re: New Scientist Question

Tinnitus can be caused by middle ear disorders such as a bit of fluid in the
middle ear space.  Another issue is that during a yawn the temporomandibular
joint changes its relation to the auditory canal and the pressure change on the
nerves as well as literal pressure changes in the middle ear space can cause
tinnitus changes.  In fact, one of the first things I do with a client is
determine if tinnitus can be changed by chewing, swallowing, opening or closing
one's mouth, biting, turning the head, etc.  When this is found to be the case
there is more of a chance of remediation of the tinnitus.

Tom

Tom Brennan, CCC-A/SLP, RHD
web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html
web master http://titan.sfasu.edu/~f_freemanfj/speechscience.html