maximum 'tatum' speed perception

Has there been any human-testing work on the maximum amount of discrete
musical events a person can identify in a second? At what point should a
machine listener (who obviously could do better) stop perceiving rapidly
played notes or percussives?

At extremely high LFs (20Hz) we'll start perceiving tones, and in
playing-around testing on my computer I could hear quarter note snare
drums up to 800bpm (so, about 13Hz). Is this a function of musical
training, the sounds being played, or mechanics of the ear?

Brian Whitman - bwhitman@media.mit.edu
Music, Mind & Machine Group
MIT Media Lab