Re: AUDITORY Digest - 5 Apr 2002 to 7 Apr 2002 (#2002-50)

Dr. Mercuri,

Yes, there have been a number of studies of Morse code learning, but still
one of the most interesting
is:  W. L. Bryan and N. Harter (1897) Studies in the physiology and
psychology of telegraphic language.
Psych. Rev. 4, 27-53, and also 345-375.   This study has been cited for the
apparent "plateau's" in
the learning functions, giving rise to the hypothesis that operators used a
single-letter transcription
strategy until they could no longer improve their rates, when they learned
to listen for larger patterns.
While statistically those plateau's seem to be more in the eye of the
beholder, their data remain remarkable
for the performance changes over many months of 5-6 day per week training.
Especially interesting is that
they did not show any clear evidence of asymptotic reception rates, after
months of training.  Since we
have little evidence with which to compare it, this leaves us wondering what
the upper limit actually is.

Chuck Watson
Indiana University

PS  Incidentally, Bryan was one of the founders of experimental psychology
in U.S., having been trained
in Germany in Wilhelm Wundt's lab.  He began our psychology department here
at IU, and later served as the
university president for some 30 years.

csw