Re: AUDITORY Digest - 1 May 2002 to 4 May 2002 (#2002-68)

Daniel,

Innate specializations is a feature of all intelligent systems.  The body
plans of different animal species are all different, with different
'layouts' as well as different sensory modalities... which requires that
their nervous systems be specialized for that particular animal.  Moreover,
a related point is that nervous systems are tailored for the behaviour of a
species, as I am sure you know.  For this reason, frog's eyes are
particularly sensitive to small black objects moving in a given range of
speeds (fly), for example.  Primate brains tend to examine complex visual
stimuli rather than simple stimuli, if both are present.  This happens with
babies, which means that it is an innate tendency of the human nervous
system.  It is similar with speech - had humans not have speech
specializations, we would not have been able to first copy (repeat) words,
second learn the meaning of those words, and third be creatures that use
complex language for communication.  Our ability to use language is an
innate specialization.

(A little off topic but noteworthy, is the fact that this specialization
have evolved like all of our abilities.  From "Language and imitation:
Informational processing and the elementary units of speech."

Fourth, we might expect such innate parameters, given their complexity and
diversity (languages vary widely in how they are pronounced) to have arisen
from preexisting information processing sensitivities in the sensory systems
of the nonhuman brain. Fitting in with this, both mammals and birds have
been found to process the parameters that characterise human speech. )

I think it is these 'sensitivities' you want to know about, and, indeed,
such sensitivities are abundant: it is largely such sensitivities that makes
different species all different, from what they can perceive to what they
can think.

I hope this helped.

Marius Myburg
Marius Myburg Intelligent Systems Research
http://farve.united.net.kg
http://www.geocities.com/warlokza