Re: Objective tinnitus due to high-level SOAE

Martin, this will require a specializing audiologist.  The first thing which
will need to be done is that variable tone generation equipment will be
necessary to see if masking can help in this situation.  Being able to alter
signal phase may also be useful.  Generally, single tinal tinnitus does better
with a masker.  If it can be determined that masking can indeed help this
gentleman, a tinnitus masker can be used.  MMM, Starkey, and several other
companies make these.  However, you cannot generally return them after purchase
so it is important to determin usefulness before the fact.  Another issue is
that the frequency of the tone may change with time and there may eventually be
more than a single tone.  This largely depends upon the cause of the problem.
If I was just to guess, I might suspect something viral in a case like this as
an initial start.

Tom

Tom Brennan, CCC-A/SLP, RHD
web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html