Re: spatialisation using headphones

Hamish,

i was wondering for what reason you are going to use headphones in your
experiment. You would have to fix the subject's head during the test which
would mean to prepare a more sophisticated set-up. If you won't fix the head
the subject could turn it during presentation of the stimulus. This would
lead to a spatial divergence between the auditory and the visual event.
Moreover, due the the mentioned rather vaguely matched HRTF you would have
your auditory event always blurred a bit (broad band signal assumed).
However, everything depends on your test hypothesis.

i would suggest using loudspeaker reproduction and using the well-known
level and time differences between the speaker pair in order to adjust your
signal spatially. This way you don't have to worry that much about the
correct HRTF - you will always get the right one ;-)

Best regards
Holger

Dr. Holger U. Prante
Project Manager