dichotic pitch perception

Dear list members,

I am conducting an experiment on dichotic perception of pitch in a tone language which contrasts three phonemic tones (high,falling and low). Some preliminary results indicate that overall falling and high tones have a better scoring than the low tone (even when low tone is delivered to the right ear, and regardless of selective attention conditions).  I wonder if there is any psychoacoustic explanation to this observation. I should mention that I controlled the amplitude of the stimuli by normalizing all at 75dB, I also normalized the duration of the stimuli, since words with falling tones are usually longer than low and high tones. I wonder if you know of some references on the topic. I greatly appreciate any suggestion on this.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Heriberto Avelino

Department of Linguistics, UCLA         'Life is short but wide'
3125 Campbell Hall
Box 951543
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1543
310 8250634