Could anyone recommend a cheap sound card?

Dear List,

we are currently setting up a new teaching lab in which we want students to
run simple auditory psychometric experiments as part of a practical class.
Could anyone recommend a sound card to use for this purpose? Since we need
to equip quite a few machines with these cards it is important that the
cards be cheap, but we found that some of the very cheap cards distort
quite badly, have considerable background hum or noise, or have poor
quality connectors so that one of the audio channels may cut out
intermittently.
If anyone has made any good experiences with cheap sound cards (or if
anyone has made particularly bad ones and might be able to tell me which
cards to avoid) please let me know.

Thanks,

Jan Schnupp
Dr. Jan Schnupp
University Laboratory of Physiology
Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PT, UK
Tel: +44-1865-272513  Fax: +44-1865-272469
E-mail: jan.schnupp@physiol.ox.ac.uk
http://jan.schnupp.net